Feel-Good Roundup: Part 1
Things to make you feel better during weird times.
Let's be honest. We’ve been preparing for a quarantine since we started this newsletter. Social distancing is the name of the game to prevent coronavirus, which means this is about to be your most binge-able weekend (week? month? year!) ever. So sit yourself on your couch, crawl under your weighted blanket, and take a break from world news and large groups of people. And tune into these feel-good films and series to get you through this latest crisis.
1. Hot Ones (on YouTube). This is that YouTube series—you know, the one all your cool coworkers have been talking about. The Host Sean Evans interviews celebrities while the two eat increasingly spicier chicken wings (or cauliflower, for vegetarians like Paul Rudd).
2. Dumplin (on Netflix). A cute coming-of-age romance about Willa Dean, who leads a larger than life beauty pageant coup with the help of her friends and a couple of drag queen mentors. And it’s all set to a Dolly Parton soundtrack.
3. Schitt's Creek (on Netflix). Father-son duo Eugene and Dan Levy brought us the Canadian sitcom back in 2015. And for six glorious seasons, we’ve had the privilege to witness the hilarious fall and rise of the wealthy Rose family.
4. Great British Bake Off (on Netflix). This show is guaranteed to make you feel all kinds of good. The lovely British contestants are so dang nice to each other, and their adorable jokes always strike just the right note. This one pulls double quarantine duty: it’ll inspire you to whip up some delicious bakes of your own AND you can daydream about hanging out in a tent in the English countryside.
5. To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before (on Netflix). This Netflix original rom-com—based on the YA novel of the same name—introduced the world to Noah Centineo as swoon-worthy Peter Kavinsky last year. It’s everything we’ve ever wanted from a rom-com!
6. E.T. (on Amazon Prime). Remember when you were a kid? And your greatest fear was that a weirdly cute alien might land in your backyard, and you and all your kid friends would have to stage a bicycle-born rescue to get him out of quarantine and safely back home?
7. Star Wars (on Disney+). Been meaning to test out Disney+? The time is now, friends! My personal favorite offering on the new streaming platform is the original Star Wars movies (Episodes IV, V, and VI), which are notoriously hard to get your hands on otherwise.
8. Baby Skunk Videos. We’ve only just discovered this genre of YouTube video, and must share it with the world! There’s this one! And there’s this one! And there’s also this ridiculously cute one! You’re welcome.
We all have to do our part to prevent the spread of coronavirus—wash your hands, stay home if you can, and follow your local health department's guidelines if you think you're sick. We'll get through this, friends! Happy streaming, Liz and Grace